27 April, 2007

A domain for your blog

I have been noticing that lately quite a few of the advertisers on PayPerPost want to exclude domains like blogspot, typepad, wordpress, myspace and other "blog warehouse" kind of places. Hey, I have nothing against them, I have two blogs right here on blogspot, but let's face it, if more and more advertisers are excluding these domains from acceptable bloggers, then it only stands to reason that in order to get these ads, one needs their own domain.

I can help - somewhat. I have server space. I have not done much with it. Mostly I host websites for some non-profit orgs (like some Boy Scout troops) in exchange for a donation receipt. I can host top-level domains (that is www.yourblog.com - or some such) for $5/month, paid annually (that is $60/year).

For domain names, I use www.aitdomains.com - they charge $7.99/year for domains. There might be less expensive places out there, but I have used these people for about 6 years now, and don't really see any need to change just to save two or three bucks.

For the $60/year, you get your own email accounts that you control, 100MB of space - that is quite a bit of space. And you can have ASP, ASPX, HTML, PHP and ColdFusion based websites. Available databases are MS Access (highly UN-recommended), MS SQL and MySQL. Most blogware is written in PHP and uses MySQL databases. You will have FTP access to upload your site.

As for blogware, I would personally recommend Wordpress. It is free (yippeee!), is written in PHP (does not need to be compiled and can be edited with any text reader - like notepad) and uses MySQL database server.

If you have any interest in having your own domain, affordably hosted, please drop me a line (you can leave a comment, or email me at bigsibling2k5 at gmail dot com).

Oh, and the sever is located in the United States (if that makes any difference to you).

No comments: