12 December, 2006

Technorati Tools

Technorati link count widget is pretty cool. This little bugger displays (according to technorati) actual real-time links to your blog. This could be a cool feature if you have a popular blog and you want visitors to be envious of the number of links people make to you. However, in my case, the number would be so low it would simply look pathetic.

Technorati uses tags to categorize and sort blog content. Using tags pointed to technorati in your posts will certainly help people find content on your site from the technorati website. However, I don't know how much help that really is since until I started this whole blogging thing, I hadn't heard of technorati at all. And, not to toot my own horn (okay, maybe a little) I started programming in HTML, and my first website had a grey background and black text (that was all that was available to web programmers at the time). The format for adding tags to your post is as follows:

<a href="http://technorati.com/tag/[tagname] rel="tag">[tagname]</a>

There are a couple of places that can auto-generate (to an extent) tags for your post. Looking at these, my favorite tends to be Fintan's Web-based Technorati Tag Generator. There are also a couple of desktop apps that will do this for you as well. But I like Fintan's because it is quick and simple and you don't have to worry about downloading anything and running code from people you don't know.

Most of the tools are fairly self-explanatory. Unless you actually use the technorati site as a portal (which I'm certain they want you to do), I don't see a whole lot of point in them though. All in all, other than being able to see how many, and which, blogs link to your blog, there isn't a whole lot at technorati that really floats my boat.

No comments: